Rockwell Collins will provide integrated avionics system for Piaggio’s MPA
In July 2012, Piaggio Aero was selected by ADASI (Abu Dhabi Autonomous System Investments − a subsidiary of Tawazun) for the development of the Multirole Patrol Aircraft, a new special missions/surveillance aircraft designed to meet the need for a robust and high-tech solution for land, coastal, maritime and offshore security. ADASI is managing complex programs for the UAE Armed Forces and forming joint ventures with internationally recognized companies to establish a national autonomous systems capability in the UAE.
Rockwell Collins will develop an integrated avionics system with touch-control flight displays for the MPA.
“Rockwell Collins’ ability to customize integrated avionics systems for any mission profile, while empowering the pilot interface and bringing information to the flight deck faster and more efficiently were driving forces behind Piaggio Aero’s avionics selection for its new MPA,” said Greg Irmen, vice president and general manager, Business and Regional Systems for Rockwell Collins. “This selection marks a continuation of the long-standing, successful relationship we have with Piaggio Aero.”
The Rockwell Collins integrated avionics system for the Piaggio Aero MPA features:
- Easy-to-use 14-inch (35.5 cm) touch-control primary flight displays that enable natural, eyes-forward operation and dramatically enhance situational awareness through all phases of flight
- Advanced communication, navigation and surveillance systems, including automatic dependent surveillance-broadcast (ADS-B Out) compatibility for impending SESAR and NextGen airspace requirements
- Synthetic vision for increased situational awareness of terrain, especially at night or during low-visibility conditions
- European mandate compliant Link 2000+ Controller Pilot Data Link Communications (CPDLC) to enhance operational efficiency with electronic messaging
- Rockwell Collins’ Ascend Aircraft Information Manager (AIM) to automatically upload flight-critical database updates and download aircraft maintenance information
- European mandate compliant Traffic Alert Collision Avoidance System (TCAS II version 7.1) for enhanced safety, especially in congested airspace
First flight of the Piaggio Aero MPA equipped with the Rockwell Collins Avionics system is expected in 2014.
Source : Rockwell Collins, Inc.