Qatar: about $ 24 billion of orders for defence
In 2015 the emirate of Qatar ordered about $ 24 billion (nearly 8 billion Euros to US companies) from 20 suppliers of a dozen countries, confirming one of the biggest buyers weapons in the world despite its armed forces count just 12,000 men.
Recently Qatar ordered
- 17 patrol boats ordered to shipyards Turkish Ares for $ 220 million,
- supply with air traffic control system and defense system to monitor the airspace of the State with a surveillance network based on Kronos radar (22 units) provided by Italy’s Selex ES (Finmeccanica) for 340 million euro. The contract includes fixed and mobile configurations and associated networked command and control centers.
- 22 NH-90 helicopters (2 billion Euros) to a consortium led by Airbus which is also part of the Italian Agusta Westland which will also allow the purchase of another Italian product, the MARTE anti-ship missile for installation onNavy helicopters and coastal defense batteries.
- 2 Airbus A330 tanker aircraft (500 million euro)
- The maintenance of systems of electrons jet Mirage 2000 (70 million euro)
- Cassidian Optronics GmbH received an order of 40 million euro to provide vision systems and aiming for the 62 Leopard 2A7 tanks and 18 self-propelled PZH-2000 that the army of Qatar ordered last year to 1.89 billion euro.
- 2.4 billion is the value of the order in Qatar for 24 attack helicopters Boeing AH-64E
- 1.6 billion for aircraft radar B-737 AEW & C.
- 2 billion to Raytheon for weapons destined for the THAAD missile shield that Qatar has ordered last year for a total value of $ 10 billion,
- Lockheed Martin has received a contract of 375 million dollars to support the academy Qatar Air Force and
- 37 million to 500 Javelin anti-tank missiles.
- 24 fighter Rafale for 6,3 billion Euro.